Irish Homestead Log Cabin
During the decade from 1840 to 1850 many Irish immigrants moved to the area
northeast of Pearl City and named the it New Dublin. This little cabin, now at
the museum, measures approximately 14 feet by 14 feet, and was built of rough
oak logs. It is known that the Hogan family lived in it for some time.
In 1976, Evelyn Damier became aware of the cabin and knew few original cabins
built by pioneer settlers in the county remained. The cabin was donated to the
Historical Society by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Schuler and was moved to its present site
at the museum in 1979.
The cabin gives us some understanding and feeling for the life of the pioneers.
It was erected quickly with existing materials to shelter the family through the
first winter. An entire family would live in this space which would be cramped
but could also be heated during the bitter cold. Much of the family's time was
spent outside at work whenever the weather permitted.
Furnishings in the cabin represent items that were brought to this area by early settlers of Stephenson County who lived in very similar circumstances as the family who built this cabin. These include a chest was brought from Germany in 1851, a coverlet that was made in Maryland in 1839, and a cradle was made in New York in 1840 and brought west in 1845.
In April of 2015, the log cabin got a facelift! Three bottom logs, which had rotted over the years, were replaced. The interior was also redone. The furnishings and accessories now better fit the pre-1850 era. More modern items were removed. The cabin is now a more accurate portrayal of this early time in Stephenson County history.